Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Calming Yin To My Fiery Yang

Back in 1992 I worked at Target for Christmas. By LDS standards I should have been on a mission but I was depressed, using drugs, and clubbing, and piddling around in the junior college here. I actually did not care what direction my life went or even if I ended up dead. I had a few close friends, and that's all I wanted. I even denied Christ, the possiblity of deity, and the hereafter. Now, this was pretty radical for me. My whole life I played the Mormon game, Master Scriptorian for 4 years in Seminary, Eagle Scout, dating the Bishop's daughter (they're freaks!) and so on...So there I was at Target, and I walked by Human Resources and there was this girl with purple hair, and I was like, "Oh yeah, purple haired chics are hot." At this time, Ministry was coming and I was looking forward to the show. This purple-haired hottie came up from one of the registers and asked me to go with her to the show and to a hotel afterwards for a party. I was like, "Uh, I'm already going with my girlfriend" (I had another girlfriend at the time-girls flock to me for some reason). Ministry came and went, and we talked a little here and there at work, and it turned out we liked the same music and enjoyed smoking pot. So one night after work, we went to this wooded field behind the Community College and got high and were laying down in the woods watching the clouds blow over the tree tops. If this doesn't sound fun, you've never smoked pot. I was kind of describing the scene from the point of view of being on the ocean floor watching the seaweed (represented by the trees) floating and swaying in the currents of the tides. She then told me she wanted to kiss me. I said, "Uh, I have a girlfriend"...and then we made-out for a while. One day, about nine months later, she said, "I'm pregnant, I'm quitting cigarettes, pot, alcohol, and so on so the baby will be healthy". I was like, "Ok." That was a very condensed synopsis of how my wife and I met and our family came to be. Oh yeah, my girlfriend I so sincerely admitted to (yeah right) having and I broke up the next day. So, I am (somewhat) honorable. We don't smoke pot anymore (sometimes I'd like to), we're done having children (yay! 11 year olds are hell), and we are faithful LDS people. I still like Ministry. Alot. Someone asked me, "Is that Chrisian music?" I just laughed...

4 Comments:

Blogger wendela said...

Liked your story. Oh, yeah, I remember Ministry, early 80's, had the album With Sympathy. Hadn't thought of that in years. Enjoying your blog. Thanks for the visit.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ministry's playing here pretty soon. I'm not going, though. Or maybe it already happened.

Glad to hear things have worked out so well for you and your wife.

6:56 AM  
Blogger elasticwaistbandlady said...

I thought of you yesterday when I heard TWO Ministry songs on my XM Radio. Both early stuff when I still liked them, Effigy and Work For Love. I just can't stand their anti-American, anti-Christianity crap that came later though, with the possible exception of N.W.O.

Also, we had The Cure playing on the computer yesterday and the song, Why Can't I be You? came on. My older girls compared Robert Smith's vocal talents to that of Henry The Octopus from The Wiggles.

I must have done something horribly wrong in their upbringing. BAD, BAD parenting!

9:52 AM  
Blogger elasticwaistbandlady said...

Oh yeah, clearly yours is a very touching, old-fashioned, pot smoking romance story.
At least it will be considered that way for our kid's generation when people likely won't bother to marry at all.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home