Monday, May 22, 2006

It's Such A Pit(t)y...

I figured it out; why we are getting bombed and crucified around the world and here in the states. Brad and Angelina and similar nutjobs being raised as deity in U.S. and European culture. I work in a really cool hospital in downtown Houston and in the breakroom people leave their old magazines for others to read. Someone has a subscription to People magazine and they brought in a recent issue of "The World's 100 Most Beautiful People" and guess who was on the cover? A. Jolie. I was looking through it and there was A. Jolie, Brad Pitt, Jennifer Lopez, I think I remember Jane Fonda...? Most of the people in here are notorious for their failed relationships and personal crises yet they are still paraded as 'Most Beautiful'. What the heck? Here is a portion of an article I ripped out of another People magazine at work; I think the issue is December 19, 2005: "Angelina wanted to do it right. This is a woman who values her relationships with her children more than anything. Now she is creating a family in the context of an adult relationship." Wait; wasn't B.P. married when Ange. Jol. hooked up with him...? Where is 'doing it right' in that context? Continuing: "Pitt told GQ that he...embraced 'the responsibility of putting your life second, and your job is to show this little one around the world.'" Who is putting their lives second here? Photo after photo of this couple with their cause and their adopted children assault you everywhere, in the grocery store, on TV, billboards, there is no escape...It seems as if they have their own personal pr photographer with them at all times. Am I the only one seeing this as false, or if not false, screwed up? I think People's and like-magazines' sales are outstanding, so thousands and thousands of people read this, and not only here but in other countries...

Which leads me to this point: I don't think our foreign policy is to blame for our being bombed and hated. I think a majority of the issue is the U.S. is the most successful country in the context of personal freedoms and the opportunity for anyone to thrive in life in the world, and of course all of the little countries are jealous. Class-warfare but on a global level. Hating the rich because you're not rich. Class-envy would probably be a better term. But imagine living in a country and all you see of America is the media: People's 100 Most Beautiful People, the constant mind-rape of Brad and Angelina, Jennifer Lopez, don't get me started on Jane Fonda, the Kennedys, COPS (tv show), CSIs, Comedy Central, and so on, and you recognize all of this as filth and see the U.S. as nothing but a sex-drenched, debauched, murderous country where the whole citizenry has lost their moral compass and you don't want your kids to be like that. That's why I hate learning about the personal lives of musicians: when you hear their music, you automatically think of their lives. That's how it is for me, anyway.

6 Comments:

Blogger annegb said...

Angelina Jolie has brought a lot of attention to the problems in Africa, so I think we could cut her some slack for being rich, beautiful, and engaged to a man who was another woman's husband.

She could be saving some lives, Patrick. I think her intentions are good.

I don't idolize her, but neither do I condemn her.

Jane Fonda, now that's another story. My husband was in Vietnam.

8:03 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

PS, I think you're right on about the class envy thing. I think it's a huge problem in America, as well.

8:09 AM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

I do not condemn Angelina Jolie for anything; even I, Perfect Henry, have made mistakes. Not many...The point I was making is: what do we hold up for role models (as the most beautiful people) and how does that affect us? Not us as you and I but us as a community. I don't condemn anyone, but I think we could reach higher. Imagine the difference we could make if we spent our money on magazines that promoted Joe Schmoe who works two jobs to feed his wife and kids and stays faithful to his spouse as one of the most beautiful people of 2006? What about the wife who supports her husband and kids while he goes to school while working her fingers to the bone as one of the most beautiful people of 2006? Instead we revere the mentally ill...Tell your husband I thank him so much for his sacrifice. You know what's funny? I've read so much on Communism and the cold war and such (I was born in 72) and I was brought up on this crap, and I remember Kruschev (I think) saying we (capitalists) will hang ourselves on our own ropes. Do you remember that quote? It may be true. Do you think Communism is really truly gone? I've reached the conclusion, although it may be faulty, there is nothing I can do to sway the tide of stupidity, such as class-envy, than be a decent human being and stick to myself. Do you remember Kingwood? Well, just north of Kingwood is Porter and New Caney. When we moved back to Kingwood (mistake for many many reasons) in 2000 from Ft. Hood, Kingwood was split into three different wards, 1, 2, and 3, and Porter and New Caney was absorbed into Kingwood 2. Alot of the Porter and New Caney members were hostile to the Kingwood members because of the differences in socioeconomic status. Goofy. I went home-teaching, I made $20,000/year in a good year, my wife worked as soon as I got home, and there were 4-5 of us in a small 2br apt. The people would say to us, "You live in Kingwood, wow." So? The point is, no matter how much $ we have, we're all stupid. It is less painful to focus on something tangible, such as cash, than our lack of intelligence or wisdom. Let them eat cake.

9:10 AM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

Oh yeah, so what about Africa? Not to sound cold-hearted, but what about the problems here in the U.S.? How can fix your house if my own is in shambles? Screw Africa. That's why we're a mess right now, sticking our nose where it doesn't belong.

9:13 AM  
Blogger elasticwaistbandlady said...

Well this raises some interesting points. Nice to see you coming around to MY way of thinking Patrick. Remember your response to this blog entry where you said the personal lives of entertainers didn't matter to you? I'll take you back down memory lane. Memory Lane
I fit some of the criteria set forth for your version of the Most Beautiful People edition. I'm going to start plucking and primping now in preparation.

4:16 PM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

I said (or meant, rather) the lives and stances of entertainers didn't sway me to vote or choose a side either way. Just because Ministry hates Bush, conservatism, self-accountability, etc. doesn't mean I hate those things.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home