Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Problematic Thematic Semantics

Alien Sex Fiend--Mad Daddy Drives A U.F.O.
Styx--Come Sail Away
Flaming Lips--U.F.O. Story
Radiohead--Subterranean Homesick Alien

What do these songs have in common?

Have you ever listened to Grandaddy? I was introduced to them about 3 years ago and they grew on me, and I love them. At first they sounded whiny, like Morrissey, Death Cab For Cutie, or the Postal Service, but the voice goes so well with the music and the thematic elements of the songs. Listen to 'So You'll Aim Towards The Sky'. It almost stopped my heart. Wow. Goosebump music.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Grandaddy album I have doesn't include that song. I don't think I've actually listened to the album I have yet, either. I'll try to get to it soon.

5:19 PM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

Susan, hurry up. I didn't like any of there albums the first time around, but they grew on me, and now they're family.

6:20 PM  
Blogger wendela said...

Listened and you're right about the growing on you thing. I never knew they had so much music out for such a long time until your post made me research - well, now they've disbanded. Do you find them on XM or Sirius or something?

7:46 PM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

I went to my wife's best friend's wedding in Austin and after the reception we were hanging out and talking about music and I said there is nothing else besides Flaming Lips out there worth listening to, and the guy I was talking to said, "Listen to this." And he played Sophtware Slump. That's how I was turned on to Grandaddy. You can get them on Itunes or Ebay, or any off-beat music store. There last album comes out in May. Boo hoo wahhhh...

8:57 AM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

I'm working through the weekend, so I'll be back. Carrot Custard, what music do you like? Why relate to music? Experience music. Let it move through you. I wonder if music is made of subatomic particles; I mean, explain the mechanism of hearing...

8:28 AM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

I'm working through the weekend, so I'll be back. Carrot Custard, what music do you like? Why relate to music? Experience music. Let it move through you. I wonder if music is made of subatomic particles; I mean, explain the mechanism of hearing...

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home