Monday, May 22, 2006

Redundantly Repetitious

Check out the cover of the National Examiner at a fine grocery store near you. The headlines read: Country Music: Who's Gay and Who's Not. ? I absolutely hate country music, and it takes a lot for me to say that. There is none other genre more uninspired than today's country music (I like old Willie Nelson and Marty Robbins). Another thing, why is it a big deal if a country music poser is gay? Aren't they all? C'mon, admit it, you know it's true. Faith Hill is a man! You can't plead ignorance with that one. Remember the skit of (Friends in low places-singer-what's his name?) on Saturday Night Live when he falls for Mango? Didn't it seem a little natural for him in that role? Coincidence, or not? Look at the Ditsy Hicks: Men in drag. You know it! Stop lying to yourself. Check out the old costumes of George Jones and Buck Owens from the 60s and 70s. And you think Marilyn Manson was a freak? I got the new issue somehow of Time in the mail. The ditsy hicks are on the cover. I wonder if they are capable of being embarrassed to see themselves whoring and begging in a news magazine for people to buy their new album. Silly little men...

3 Comments:

Blogger elasticwaistbandlady said...

They made the front of the Houston section in the Chronicle today. My favorite part of The Dixie Chicks has to be their initial ridiculous statement about being ashamed of their Texas birthplace because they share it with George Bush, then retracting and apologizing, and now finally coming full circle and saying that they meant what they said all along. Reminds me of my daughter's favorite song, "Middle Of Nowhere", when he proclaims himself, "consistently inconsistent". Say what you mean, and own what you say, Ditsy Hicks. Nice job renaming them, Patrick.

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't mind the Dixie Chicks until they got so ridiculously overplayed. Drove me insane.

They've done a couple Patty Griffin songs. I love Patty. Her versions are superior, of course.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth-W said...

I just heard an interview with them on npr on the drive home today. Natalie told a story about being at some place where people were protesting the Chicks. A woman was screaming at the camera, referring to the Dixies, "You suck! You suck!" And then she looks at her child who is about two years old, and shouts at her child, "Say 'You suck!'...Say it!!" I feel bad for the Chicks, and loathe as I am to say it, theirs are the first country cd's I've owned in my life.
I'm never gonna get invited to ya'll's get-togethers, am I? Patrick, you can take back your pluralism offer, if you want.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home