Saturday, August 05, 2006

Have you ever wondered if I was a dork?

Here's proof: I bought a theremin! I've been waiting forever (it seems) to buy one. It sounds so cool, like electric jolts of ecstasy up and down my spine. Yummy! My amp (Roland Cube 60) has a few effects and wow I love it. It's hard to interpret the sound to mere words.
I don't know when I heard the first theremin. Looking back I remember hearing it during the old b/w horror movies and not knowing what it was. Then on Pet Sounds Brian Wilson uses one (a theremin-like device, not an actual theremin). Gotta keep those good vibrations...Jimmy Page used a theremin and I always tried to figure out how he made those sounds with his guitar, but it turns out it wasn't a guitar. Then I saw the Polyphonic Spree last July 4th weekend in Ft. Worth (attn Pisces Scaredalot: Ft. Worth is in Texas). My sexy wife and I got there early in the afternoon and heard soundcheck, and this freaky sound was coming out from over an acre away, but we couldn't see the stage because the concert was in the middle of this forest. We made it to the stage and saw...it. The theremin. Wow. My past, present, and future collided at once into this glorious colorful peak of sound (a theregasm, if you will) and I coveted one ever since. Now, my dreams are realized and cells are replicating (attn Feces Iscariot: replicate means to divide and multiply).
And the best thing of all: Beautiful wife and I are going to see the Spree in Austin on September 14 and I hope to interview the thereminist on some issues of technique and possible effects he uses.

8 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth-W said...

You are a lucky dude! There aren't that many musicians who can claim to have one of those instruments (and I use the term loosely) in his/her collection.

1:21 PM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

Wait...what term used loosely, musician or instrument?

2:49 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth-W said...

You dork--instrument! :)

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theremins are a trip. I have a friend who's in a band with a theremin player. Cool stuff.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth-W said...

I think I have a new Christmas present idea for Shazzy. I told him you got one and he thought that was pretty swanky.

9:16 PM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

My next instrument will be a Moog Voyager, but they cost around $3000. I don't have that right now, but hopefully soon.

8:58 AM  
Blogger elasticwaistbandlady said...

I play the kazoo. Can I join your band PH?

8:39 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

I have no clue what you are talking about. Clueless.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home