Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Women find me well Jung

"Love thy neighbors" is wonderful, since we then have nothing to do about ourselves; but when it is a question of "love thy neighbour as thyself" we are no longer so sure, for we think it would be egoism to love ourselves. There was no need to preach "love thyself"to people in olden times, because they did so as a matter of course. But how is it nowadays? It would do us good to take this thing somewhat to heart, esp. the phrase "as thyself". How can I love my neighbour if I do not love myself? How can we be altruistic if we do not treat ourselves decently? But if we treat ourselves decently, if we love ourselves, we make discoveries, and then we see what we are and what we should love. There is nothing for it but to put our foot into the serpent's mouth. He who cannot love can never transform the serpent, and then nothing is changed. -Jung

I see a pattern in my tastes in music, food, people, movies, and books. I think Jung's philosophy/psychology explains the reason I like Shamyalan and Star Wars. So was Anakin the complete man? Maybe that's why I'm attracted to Jung's works. The above quote has been stated by me many times in my search for self-truth; I've always said (tongue-in-cheek) "I do love my neighbor as myself because I hate myself"...which is not necessarily the truth. In my years of 'becoming', I've paid attention, maybe too much, to my dark side, and not digesting it properly, esp. in context with what I perceived to be my religion. I've been coming to grips with it lately, but the past 5-7 years have been a time of trial (and error) for me. But, what a learning experience! I wouldn't trade it for anything. I entered this period of my development in this mortal phase one way and am emerging something different. I think the Lord may be pleased with my direction. I certainly hope so...

I don't think the mortal experience is meant to be passed through without falls and scrapes. I grew up believing Mormonism, or my religion at the time, meant walking life through without making 'mistakes'. How I got that idea, I don't know. I think it was a combination of home life, LDS socialization (the big brainwash), and my own personality I brought to mortality. Nevertheless, it is difficult to apply, but I think Jung was on to something. Does acknowledging the dark side of ourselves mean embracing the dark side? I don't think so. I think acknowledging is the beginning of making peace with it. Lehi beat Jung to the punch when he stated there is opposition in all things...

4 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth-W said...

I think Jung was saying to at least acknowledge the shadow. Many people spend their lives with blinders on, not looking at what is there, glaringly obvious, in their peripheral vision.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me lol. :) I'm still working on loving the neighbors as I love myself.

I'm glad that I don't engage in a lot of self-loathing as some people do.

6:38 PM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

It's a process of understanding. And divine help.

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reading a book that is call Healing the inner self from the darkness into light. Yes there is darkness in all of us but it might amaze people to understand what the darkness really is all about.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home