Thursday, May 04, 2006

Feminine Wiles (Got Me Down)

I just finished reading The DaVinci Code. What is the big deal behind the controversy surrounding the book? I read the newspaper saying Christians everywhere are going to ban the book, march, riot, start cutting off peoples' heads, bring on the mother of all wars (oh wait...that's Islam). But some Chrisitians are kind of mad. I'm not going to talk about the story line, but some of it seems far-fetched, but some sounds kind of familiar. I read it as a work of fiction. It is fiction, people. Are you threatened by it? It is very well written and the theme is very interesting. It doesn't make me question my faith or send me off on flights of fancy or anything. Hmmm...have you read the book? What's your take?

Speaking of that faith issue...I got released from my primary calling. Someone in Utah decided that men alone can't teach the kids. But wait; hasn't there been for the past couple of years in the news female teachers molesting the children...? Not that I mind being released. I was going to tell my Bishop I wanted to be released because I'm spiritually needy and need to eat, not serve, right now. My ward is serving it up in heaps...ha! I've been reading the BOM a little more. I think sometimes my perspective of the Gospel gets murky from my ward, but really all I need is the BOM. Clouded lenses and all...

Does anyone out there like Mercury Rev? Man, I'm listening to All Is Dream, and that is one of the best albums of all time. I don't listen to it that much but when I do, it's like 'bits of puzzle fitting each other'-JA. Dream-rock. Space my bass, the stars I face, escape I make my race...Aural hyperbole...

7 Comments:

Blogger annegb said...

Sorry to be off topic, but I love CS Lewis, as well. I discovered him about 14 years ago when my son died and I had a crisis of faith. I started with A Grief Observed. Have you read it?

8:22 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth-W said...

I like both DaVinci and Angels and Demons. Fun reads, easy reads, sort of like Michael Crichton or that legal guy. I think LDS people are probably more comfortable with some of the ideas than other Christians? But then again, we're heretics anyway.
What is this about men not teaching Primary? My daughter's CTR6 teacher is a grandpa.
I think it is okay to ask to take a break when we need to be fed. My husband isn't LDS and so RS is where I feel I need to be. I spent 1 1/2 years in YW and that was enough. I needed to get back to being taught.

9:21 PM  
Blogger elasticwaistbandlady said...

I think a lot of the uproar centered around the idea of Jesus having a wife which in my mind isn't far-fetched at all considering marriage is necessary to attain that highest degree of glory.

Patrick, I did the unthinkable last Sunday. I totally walked out on my CTR8 class because two of the boys refused to settle down, I was functioning on 3 hours sleep in 2 days, and went straight to Church from work skipping breakfast. I gave the manual to the Primary Pres. and just left the class. I'm feeling guilty about it too. In hindsight the best course of action would have been to kick out the two offending boys. We are the most irreverent class and I play with them a lot, we all get distracted easily, and they've come to an understanding with me that we can goof around but only if the lesson is complete. Do you think this damage is irreversible or am I going to be branded as the 'Ward Flake'? Hope that you get to feast at that buffet table of spirituality in your now carefree Ward member days ahead.

6:14 AM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

Hi annegb. I love C.S. Lewis. I've read the Chronicles, Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, the space-travel trilogy (The other Planet?) and the version of the Greek myth of...? I own the first three, that's why I remember their names. I cry everytime I read his work, except for Mere C., which is just his philosophy. Lewis has to have the Gospel. He was right on. I still haven't seen the movie yet (LWW). I was watching ROTS when I saw the preview and I got goosebumps.
Elizabeth-w, sometimes while reading the book I wonder how far (or not far) he's (author) from the truth. I've always felt women are naturally closer to God than men, and while men have the Priesthood, it is only through women we are even able to get near God.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't read the book, and all the hype has turned me off to it. I'm lame that way.

I always hear good things about Mercury Rev, I'll give them a good listen sometime soon. I like the guy's voice.

6:53 AM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

EWL-no.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Garth said...

You make a good point Patrick - religeous extremists have difficulty with views that stray from their dogma.
I have not read the book and don't intend to, Umberto Eco's 'Foucault's Pendulum' was, in my opinion, the epitome of conspiracy stories.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home